Friday, September 12, 2014

Wonder Woman

When I was growing up I use to think having a nurse as a Momma was crap!! I am not even going to pretend that I didn't. You can't get out of anything. Are you breathing?? Can you move it?? Are you gushing blood?? Your fine!! Could never get out of gym class or school for that matter. But now that I am much older, and hearing things from friends. I truly realize how blessed I am. Sif tagged me in something not to long ago "how to know you grew up with a nurse" or some sort. "Your tough" "your friends call you asking questions" You know?? I had NO idea health insurance companies had nurses?? WHAT?? I mean mine is a phone call or a text away. And I can predict what she says now, but when you grow up with nurses you don't think much of it.

I did grow up with these disease though, I didn't find out much later in life. I was never able to keep up with other cause of it, that never stopped me though. I still tell Wonder Woman to this day I will run a marathon. I was in sports and such, so I always had issues. As I got older and my health declined, she truly became a blessing. And found out why her true calling was a nurse. God knew I need someone to stay on top of me that new what she was doing. She saved me on so many occasions, a couple stories come to mind.

Last year I had a really bad allergic reaction. I was in anaphylaxis for 24 hours, I had eaten the same thing I eat all the time (and still do) and I just could not catch my breath, her intuition got the best of her. I assured her I was OK but was going to do a breathing treatment and reclused. Not even thru my treatment she's in there checking on me and insisted we go in. Good thing she knew what was going, I hate to think what would happen if she wasn't on top of me.

This past summer I kept telling her my one lung hurt every time I breathed. Only on the exhale though, of course she knew, I was like no I'll be fine. "Classic Poppet." So she finally said fine, you have until tomorrow morning to feel better or there is not option you are going. By the night I was in so much pain I had to go in. Once again I was going thru CT scans, blood work, cultures, the works to just find out I had pleurisy.

I will also never forget the few times she has gotten into a nurses face and just let them have it (sorry Wonder Woman). Which is a benefit to me. I appear atypically at most times. With my CF, I am at the point of, I can get air into my lungs, BUT. I can not properly transfer oxygen, or get air out of my lungs fully. So my sats can read normal, and I will be in a critical state. My lungs are crap!! She has fought for me and got me proper treatment. Most days, she doesn't break a sweat, hair is in place and doesn't even bat her eyes.

Years later I am truly thankful and feel so blessed to have her as a Mom. She's been an undying strength thru out the years. She has never ever let me think this is the end. We fight together. :-)

But I really do need to catch her up on our games though
Love Y'all
~Poppet

No comments:

Post a Comment