Monday, October 13, 2014

CF

I am often asked what cystic fibrosis is, and I never know what to say, with out terrifying people of the cut and dry truth. Which I try to avoid lol I do like having friends. POTS is less scary to talk about because it's not as life threaten though it can be. I've been asked to speak on it today and tho I know all about it, in ways only I or "one of us" can understand.

CF is crappy disease that affects the entire body, my lungs, my heart cause of the lungs, my digestive system, it can affect my liver and kidneys as well, oh and the pancreas!! It's a disease that effect the cells in which chloride and salt can not swap "chloride shift problem." It is a rare genetic disease. It's crap if you ask me. Since the chloride does not shift right my mucus becomes extremely thick. I can not move my mucus with out thinners. My lungs are pretty damaged at this point, it's very hard to get air in and at times impossible to get air out, I am dependent on inhalers and at times oxygen. See scary!! Who wants to hear "my body doesn't know how to function so my lungs are slowly being destroyed" yes u have  I said that to people before. I get this look of horror. But it's facts of life with CF. I eat constantly because I can't break down food properly or get enough calories because my body does not comprehend how to absorb it, well it can't because back to that mucus again. Yes it's everywhere in the body, for you "normal" people it acts as a lubricant for me, it's a nuisance. See why I call the disease crap??

No one wants to hear the sad truth about CF, though it's a fact of life, crappy fact but a fact none the less. This is why I never know what to say. I don't like being known as the girl with CF, I much prefer the weird crazy girl with tattoos. Or the chef that her Grandma just doesn't "get" lol, I let the food "talk" and make what I think sounds good then boring all recipes. The girl with such a passion for music it plays constantly, even while watching tv, unless I like the show then well...

Yes my life can be scary, confusing and seem crap, but it's not that way at all. Because of CF, POTS, MCAD and even my food allergies I am truly blessed beyond belief. That's who I am, that's what I want people to know, you can make the best out of all this and lead a beautiful life.

But I must go for now
Love Y'all
~Poppet

No comments:

Post a Comment