Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Corned upset cat

So i spent at least a week now on steroids. Which means my emotions are just stupid at this point. Oh you love me?? Well let me cry as if you told I am the worse person alive lol. No really very few people can make me smile on steroids and though there is one guy that guarantee a smile out of me on steroids. We will talk about him another day. But on to what this post really is about.

Approaching strangers with disabilities. I am sure you are thinking you really need to address this?? YES. We are treated as if we are a creature from the darkest depths of the earth. Lets start with the proper way to approach people. 

I was in Verizon this week. This guys were just beyond fabulous. They treated me like a normal person. I had nothing but good things to say when I left there. I even made sure the person who sold us the phone would be there to set them up when they came in. They were so polite and asked me if it was OK to ask me questions. If they could ask me about my disease and apologized for asking. There was no need for them to apologize at all. They approached in such a sweet manner and I really enjoyed speaking to them. No really if you guys ever read I am so happy I got to see you that day you guys were fabulous. 

If you approach me with respect as they did "hey can i ask you question about your disease?? I am so sorry to intrude." This will guarantee open me up. I love educating people on my life. And really the sales person that works me deserves a promotion she is such a sweetie and so does the guy that was talking to me to. Anyways

Brings me to today. 

I go to the pharmacy i ALWAYS go to. They know my birthday by heart I am there so much. And I park where I normally park. This old lady watches me. She stops by the handicap ramp, watches my every move. I get my stuff out the truck, cover my face walk in and run smack dab into her cause stopped abruptly to question my oxygen and where I park. I am visibly short of breath. Taking deep breaths to get enough oxygen in my lungs. I am wheezing. As I had a bad reaction yesterday and a minor one today cause i  cut benadryl short. I had to walk a distance at the other pharmacy so I was pretty much spent by the time I got to my main one. She wanted answers of what was wrong and wear I parked. NO! This is NOT how you approach someone. You don't walk up to anyone and demand answers. It is none of your business what is going on in someones life. 

Sometimes in society I feel like my life is on demand and everyone needs to know what is going like it is there right. Here's the thing. If you approach in the manner that the people from Verizon did, I will stop and talk to you. I will educate on what my life is like and how crazy it can get. But if you come up to me demanding an explination on something that is none of anyone's business I will shut down. 

Now don't get me wrong at all, I will say it again. If you want to know a bit about why I am on oxygen. Please approach me in a respectful manner. "Can I..." "I saw this, can I ask you..." "Do you mind" Honestly no I do not mind please come talk to me I am not a mean person at all. I just ask that I am respected and not as its your right to know. 

i am ready to cry so its kitty loving time and coffee time. 
Love Y'all
~Poppet

No comments:

Post a Comment