Friday, May 1, 2015

CF Aware

Today is the first day of cystic fibrosis awareness month. Though most of my blog talks about this because my POTS usually under control. This past week has been a little symptomatic with my POTS but we will talk about that later.

This is the month where "we scream a little louder for a cure." But I guess this a good time to tell you how overwhelmingly sick I have been with CF this past month.

It has been almost a month of never ending sickness. I get off antibiotics for a few days and then I am right back on them for almost a week. I have been very dependant on my oxygen. Using it around the clock. I am on steroids every other day to a week or so at a time. Due to all the swelling in my airways with pollen season, I have not been able to efficiently clear my airways. Which means more mucus sits in my lungs, which puts me at a higher risk for an infection.

If I am out for more then six hours that infection is right back. 24 hours laters I have a fever. I am sure this is more so because I have the bacteria permanently colonized in my lungs. We have under control enough to cope with it. I am on around the clock benadryl because of this to. Between my MCAD and the my nasty airways its needed. Some days that I have to go out, Wonder Woman is coming for a parking place up close because me walking on oxygen even has been rough. I cough, wheeze, my heart sky rockets and I just feel as though I am going to collapse. It's awful.

I've been on oxygen to the point, I went to wipe my noes and it was nothing but blood. Something I have only told Wonder Woman. My airways are so dry from the oxygen that they are cracking and bleeding. My chest aches from the coughing and pressure and most night I go to sleep with a heating pad on my chest to make it bearable to breathe. This has been a more recent thing, or well more frequent i should say.

I sleep propped up and oxygen. Some morning I wake up and my lungs are still stiff, most I am ok. But I can't sleep with out it.

And my weight?? The only reason I don't have a feeding tube is because my doctors seen how much I can eat. My weight is low to the point I am considered under weight but my labs are decent and again I can eat a LOT. When I am sick I am more dependent on smoothies then food though.

Life gets rough when it comes to my health. I spend hours doing treatment. Though I can say I have a truly amazing life. Because people around me make it so.

Enough depressing stuff for now.
Love Y'all
~Poppet

No comments:

Post a Comment