Monday, January 5, 2015

Advocate

Somedays shes waits for me to wake up. Patiently, and when I do, she tells me her fears and concerns. Somedays the weight of what she tells me makes me cry. This is someone I care about telling me about her health and her fears. She tells me because she thinks I can relate to her and comprehend on a level others can't whats she's going thru. I have never personally dealt with what she' s going thru and I pray I never due. But one thing I do understand is what it is like to be chronically ill. I get it on a level that no one else can so much as imagine. Most of the people that imagine it are way off!! Espically TV.  People pretend to know but there is comprehending this stuff until you go thru it yourself. We say we get, we say we understand. But. The truth?? Until you go thru it you have NO idea what they are feeling.

I posted a while back that, Wonder Woman told me once that she use to tell her patients family that she understood what they were going thru. But she never truly comprehended it until she spent countless night by my bed praying. It broke my heart. I wish she never had to know that feeling. Sadly I am in her shoes now. Someone very dear to me is going thru their own health battle. That is quite serious and she is coming to me on her feelings. Sometimes the only thing I can tell her is to pray. Thankfully she understands that God is here with us. We remind each other that God will get us thru all of this.

I have not always been this postive. I got my POTS diagnosis when my life was falling a part. I had to drop out of school, quite my job, and was losing friends and my boyfriend. I really thought my life was over. I had no idea which way was up and was spending weeks in bed. The All Father got in touch with me and told me that my life was not over and I needed to find away to make my life work. He was right. I have tried to do many thing but what I always fell back on was food (im a chef), God, family, and being an advocate.

Being an advocate not means just to be a voice for yourself but for those who can not speak on their behalf. Whether they are to scared or don't know where to start. And a lot of this starts with listening. That means being there before I even get my first cup of coffee in the morning. That means being strong when you just want to hug them and cry. Some days they don't want you to do anything but listen.

Today I had to tell someone, I know you want the call on all the details of when and how your surgery will happen, but you sititng in this house worrying is not gonna help it. Go. Get out of the house, they have your number and they can leave a message. It took years of dealing with these diseases to learn that. You can't mope and dwell. It will destroy you. You can not let anyone of this stop you from living your life. It was the hardest thing I ever had to learn. But i have learned all this and I have never been more greatful for those who taught me that.

Though it's heart breaking to hear stories I feel so blessed God has provided me with the opportunity to help people.

Love Yall
~Poppet

No comments:

Post a Comment