Monday, July 6, 2015

POTS update

I haven't talked much about my POTS lately. My CF consumes my life at this point. I am always finding new ways it has taking a toll. A huge toll but we will get back to that another day. 

This is a POTS awareness blog but I haven't really mentioned in depth lately just in passing because its pretty much under control. I am not saying that its not still debiltating or not there daily because it very much so is. My heart goes in and out of raining. Ive come close to fainting a few times. One was my fault forgot to take my salt. Also this summer has been very hot so far, and  I go out and think I dress cool enough come home to be dizzy and have a very high heart rate because my body simply can not cool down on its own. This is WITH Wonder Woman blasting the AC some days it just doesn't cool down quick enough for us to get where we are going. So I have upped my saline for the summer. I am doing an average of 3 liters a day. 

Which I controlmy POTS with saline, salt (and LOTS of it), diet and potassium. I also get b12 shots but its for my rediciously low levels. And not because I am vegan it was low long before I was vegan. Though the Vegan diet, as well as being gluten free, has greatly helped my symptoms of POTS. I eat small meals thru out the day, and I eat a LOT. Salt everything I eat and no gluten. I found that more your body has to digest certain foods, the more the blood in your body is going to your intstines. When you have low circulating blood volume this gets problematic very quickly. I also spoke with my doctor about this and he said if it woks for me then keep up with it. POTS isa very underresearched disease, so it takes us as patients to learn how to cope and control our symptoms. Exercise is suppose to help as well but it has been increasinly hard for me to ezercise but not because of my POTS. 

I usually only struggle with my POTS in the summer and ONLY when I go out. I can not control the heat or how little my body sweats, i drink LOTS of water, i drink iced coffee (unless i go see my friend and I go strait home) and I eat cold fruit. It is vert very important to stay hydrated. Compression stockings did not make much of a difference for me, like they should have though I do wear them on long days but I found they are way to hot. And for me I also can not take cardiac medications or the "serotonin" drugs not sure it they are reuptake or inhibitors but they made me 100 times worse it was terrible. 

POTS like CF is a very patient based treatment. This is what works for me, this is what i fought very hard to get to help me get my life back to the extent I could. Each patient is different. So your treatment may be drasticalyl different then mine. Or this could help you as well. :-)

But I must get off here for now I need to get this lungs taking care of
Love Yall
~Poppet

No comments:

Post a Comment