Friday, July 18, 2014

Someone told me once "you can tell if a person has a disease" of course me being me goes "really?? and how do you figure that?? and what disease do you think I have" They said by the looks of me I am very healthy. I had to laugh "i wish." People have this idea that we must look sick in order to have a disease. I appear to be a healthy person but the reality is that is not the case. I may not need my oxygen all the time but that does not mean I do not have some crazy disease attacking my body. When I walk you or even talk for that matter. You can not see the stress my heart goes thru, how fast it beats, and at times the pain it causes. You can not see my pail lips because i wear lip stick, and I paint my nails to cover my dusky nails. Some days you can not see my PICC cause I have a sweater covering it.

I bring this up because not everyone who is battling a serious disease can be seen. I have a little handicap placard that I do use. When I park I have people staring at me with disgust. And they watch my every move. Sometimes I honestly stand close to them and start coughing, its very wet and gross. They kinda just look at me... Or there are the days where you just can see how hard it is for me to breathe and make it from point a to to point b. But who are they to judge a person by what they look like. I fought this my entire life because I have always dressed weird. But just because a person does not look sick, does not mean they are not battling a life threatening debilitating chronic illness. Most days you will see me with a tank of oxygen, but others I mange to walk in and out fine. I can't count the times I have walk into oncology, cardiology, or even pulmonolgy and been able to pick out patient or family member. I have been in cardio before they called my name and everyone stared at me was i walked back. Sorry my heart is damaged I need this doc to. Yes some disease are linked to obesity but that doesn't mean someone healthy can not get the disease. Some days it does get frusterating because I can hear people speak about me. I have been known to roll my eyes at them, or just smile and wave to make it obvious i hear them other days I just walk off.

I guess I am really writing this to ask people do not judge someone by the way the look, I spend about an hour trying to look healthy some days. I have a horrid illness and want to at least look OK and just think what if it was someone you loved that was being somedays harassed by people because they do not look disabled.

Love unconditionally and look deeper into the picture that lies before you,
Love Always
~Poppet.

No comments:

Post a Comment