Friday, February 3, 2017

Heart Disease Month

Something I do not touch on much because its mainly my lungs that are a constant source of issues, today we are going to focus on the heart for several reasons. My heart has been messing up badly recently (heart rhythm issues as i touched on in the last blog), I can go into neurogenic heart failure, I have a whole in my heart, and I have heart disease on top of my POTS. Which affect my heart and kidneys.

As many of you know I have POTS, which is why I have my IV, and the reason I can go into neurogenic heart failure which I have been warned about and we do monitor. Why?? Because I have such bad lungs, the only way we can treat my POTS is Salt, Electrolyte Replacement, and Saline. I cannot take beta blockers, calcium channel blockers, or any other sort. I even have to be careful with EPI in emergency situations. When my heart does begin to fail, we've talked about something called digoxin which Wonder Woman is not happy about so we work really really really hard to maintain my health thru diet, exercise, and proper saline use. There is no "if or when" when it does come to my heart because its all uncertain. But its always nice to have a plan in place for worse case scenario.

The whole in my heart is congenital and NOT a worry as of yet. I can feel my heart gurgle at times which is the back was of my blood into the whole, we have had MRIs and echoes to keep an eye on it and until it becomes problematic we are pretty much leaving it alone because my lungs can't handle larges amount of stress.

I also have coronary artery disease. Because I have POTS, my heart rate rest around 110 on a good day. On days like today it is much much higher. My heart gets so high that my heart spasms a bit (not dangerous from what I know) and it hurts really really really bad. It can be crippling at times. But since we can only do so much with treatment. I am under a physician care who has worked with Wonder Woman and my orders?? Call her when things go wrong.

Does my POTS affect me with all my treatment?? Yes!! I had complications this morning that pushed back my breathing treatments because it was a necessity that I took care of my heart first. It does happen. Mostly when we have major storms. Today was more of exercising has caught up with me and I am working on finding a balance. Enough to keep my lungs clear so I do not put stress on my heart, but not to much to where I am going to bottom out my blood pressure.

When I say I walk a fine line of balance and I need keep a close eye on my body all this is why. My life is so much more then I have CF and my lungs are starting to go down hill.

Today I encourage every one of you to research POTS, and Heart Disease in general. 1 in 3 woman die from heart disease and our symptoms of a heart attack are different from a mans. Get awareness out there and rock that red and own it!!

Love Y'all
~Poppet

No comments:

Post a Comment