Thursday, January 12, 2017

Voice as a patient

I was talking to someone lately and conversation of having a voice in a medical situation came up and speaking up for yourself in general. Though I am very outspoken and question every decision that has been made medically for me (because I am related to ICU nurse) I do not always have a voice in certain situations. I am not sure if I have touched on this before but I have a medical and durable power of attorney. There were quite a few reasons that played into this but I will not be putting them out there.

Basically what a "power of attorney" is, when I am sick, incoherent, or if one day I am on a vent and can not speak for myself I have a legally fave 3 people the power to speak and sign for me on my behalf. I have such a complex disease that effects my lungs and heart that I have no idea what can happen to me. Though I recommend this for everyone because life is just uncertain. I have personally been so sick and so out of this I have allowed one of them to sign for me on a few occasion and I have let that person make decisions for me.

When the only thing your doing is focusing on breathing you do not have the ability to sometimes form sentences the make sense. Three or four words here and there, the thing is it takes oxygen in the lungs to be able to talk. You can't breathe you can't talk its just how it works. I have been so strung out on meds that have been medically necessary that I was hallucinating and I need someone to guide me on the right decision for me. I have had lung infections so bad I could barely keep my eye open I was just so exhausted from breathing, I have been in anaphylaxis fighting for my life and able to sign for me because my job is to survive.

What I am trying to say is this. Just because someone comes off as strong an independent does not mean they do not need someone there to help them and be a voice when all you can do is fight to breathe. Fight to just survive one more day. The people on my power of attorneys chose me, they were not going to let me fight this a lone and one is a nurse that has proven that my medical needs out way their personal needs. They have been in my life for years, and when we were starting to face the uncertainty of where my health was going we start to form our team to help me get thru this.

When I came out with the news of how poor my lungs are I had a few people stop me and go "whatever you need I am here." They would not allow me to be stubborn and fight this alone, they told me that no matter what they will be apart of my team and we will fight this together. I sat down with 3 of them a few years ago and expressed my concerns and needs how hard we have to fight and they were the ones that are listed to call. They are my people and they know how much I love and need them.

If you are not around me all the time you don't see how my health has taking a toll, how hard I fight and just work to breath. Wonder Woman had to take an old macbook pro out of my hands because I couldn't carry it and breath at the same time, I had to sit in the back at mass so if I need to go the toddlers run area to breathe I could. You don't see me laying in bed trying to get thru yet another attack to just make it and breathe. You see the girl with a smile on her face, playing with makeup and in the kitchen cooking. Telling you "I got this." And I do!! Why?? Because people have selflessly helped me thru everything, they have held my hand, and talked me thru whatever it was I have needed. They have taught me above all kindness and love is what matters. And we as a team no matter how diverse can do this together.

Love Y'all
~Poppet 

No comments:

Post a Comment