Saturday, January 21, 2017

Awareness matters

I have always said my health isn't the worst thing that could happen to me, its the people who do not understand or believe me is.

I don't hit on this topic much but I have food allergies. I ate something or touched something yesterday that put me into anaphylaxis. While someone laughed it off when I alerted them because Wonder Woman was not there, it was going from hives, to sunburned like skin, and I was frantically calling Wonder Woman while taking Benadryl. She was monitoring me, while we were deciding what to do, because I was talking my normal, and it quickly progressed to audible wheeze and my breathing was off. So we went in.

Just the site of me was a bit concerning so they immediately got me back and all that and we explained to them I have CF and poor lung function on top of an allergic reaction. So they treated me and I still had an awful wheeze and they started having me take deep breaths, and the nurse was not so nice to start with and the doctor did NOT listen to me.

And here's why I call her Wonder Woman, she's fluent in CF and Critical Care (which is a super power all in itself) she started doing manual Chest PT, told the ER nurse I can't take breath it was causing the fit, and we do Chest PT to move stuff. Anaphylaxis causes swelling in my airways and mucus had gotten stuck, which makes breathing seem impossible but she ever so calmly pounded my back where I needed moved the mucus, and explained in her teacher voice what chest PT is, why it is needed, and its the only thing that will help at this point and to tell me to deep breath. The nurse of course questioned her and explain this a multi daily thing. This is what we do, she left and let her take control of the situation. A sweet lady came in to help me up, and she knew CF and described how and why my body was doing what it is, and explained her history with CF. Turns out she was a paramedic and not a nurse!!

I eventually did get to come home, because we moved the mucus that was stuck and got rid of my wheeze and had the reaction under control enough to go home.

Heres why education is so important. One person in the entire ER new what CF was, new what needed to be done but there was so little she could to do for me. My nurse, and doctor did not know what CF is, which is OK we don't live in a CF area. But what isn't OK is not listening and not educating yourself on what CF is. We also explained Mast Cell Disease, it is then up to them to google and see what it is and educate themselves on the diversity of my disease. I am SO blessed to have Wonder Woman.

I was not giving my health and disease as a mistake. I was giving them for a reason, maybe it is to educate on the hows and whys of my disease. Maybe its to bring light to the chaos in my life, that I make seem not so bad. There is only so much I can do. Once I give you the information it is now your responsibility to google and understand what you can.

I have been on Benadryl ALL day. So off to Wonderland for me.
Love Yall
~Poppet

No comments:

Post a Comment