Wednesday, May 3, 2017

CF Awareness

Its Cystic Fibrosis awareness month, and after a few days in the hospital, and a visit with cardio and pulm, we found out I never had true asthma and its all just CF. So we might treat my heart at this stage we might not we just have to wait and see. Theres a lot more going into my heart then what I have posted but its all a matter of "we'll see" so I am not going to go to in depth with that now until I have more information my self. But Cardio will tell you I am tough and I know how to survive.

CF is more then just lung disease, it affects every part of my body, my pancreas, my intestines, my heart, my skin, and my cells. Every cell in my body is affected by this disease, the sodium and chloride do not shift properly and cause the thick mucus build up. I personally am not a diabetic yet, I am on the low end of that spectrum. So I am constantly watching my diet, we always have complex carbs on hand to keep my sugar at an even keel and we have a lot of salt on hand at all times.

It doesn't only affect my body, it affects my life in every single way. I was recently in cardio, and the nurse asked why are you on oxygen you are so young. I explain my lung function, and I have CF, i was born this way and so on. "But you look healthy." No its makeup but thank you. I go to Pulm, "is that right only 85??" Yes mam, i have CF its hard to gain weight. People look at my image and assume I am healthy, they don't understand the amount of work that goes into what I do. They do not see the amount of food I eat, they do not see Wonder Woman buying me oatmeal cause I am craving and buying a hi cal vegan milk to get with it to add on the calories. They don't see the All Father and Frigga buying me safe high protein snack to eat while I am with one of them as not to lose weight. Its have a full conversation with Wonder Woman thru coughing.

Theres so many meds involved when it comes to my life, and i am at the lower end of the spectrum, i take a hand full of pills a couple times a day, and I take pills every time I eat. I am constantly balancing neb treatments, with pills, with vest, with manual PT, and the exercise requirements. I am constantly finding ways to literally drain my lungs, while Wonder Woman is at work so i can loosen up my air ways. Its rubbing Breathe oil on my chest that Frigga stocks me up on so I don't feel breathless and dizzy using my flutter. Its lukewarm showers as not to irritate my lungs, and spending the next hour coughing and catching my breath. Its Wonder Woman checking on me in my sleep to make sure I am still breathing properly.

There is so much that goes into my disease, but one thing I can assure you, I am where I need to be in life. I am exactly where I am supposed to be. My health has taught how to treasure the moments I spent with my family, to love people for who they are and to look past the non sense in life. I am not CF, I am not POTS, or Food Allergies. I am a Chef, a Makeup Artist, a daughter, and a friend. I am the free spirited teal haired, wonderland obsessed girl who believes there is truly good in this world. My goal in life is to break the stigma that I am my disease and my disease defines me. I am just an average woman trying to have a successful life like most people do.

Love Y'all
~Poppet 

No comments:

Post a Comment