Thursday, May 18, 2017

Food Allergy Awareness

Things have been quite busy lately!! I have been getting Wonder Woman ready for pinning, which I was unable to make this year for many reason but it all boils down to my lungs. I have been spending time between my parents, and of course doctors appointments. Then Momma's Day celebrations that we can't do on the exact day. Which lead us into Food Allergy Week!!  The start of Food Allergy week I hopped in the shower and thought nothing of my poor breathing I mean it comes with showering. I looked in the mirror and hives!! No idea why but it was just hives from what I know and seemed to have been ok.

Food Allergies can make things super complicated, and on top of them I have a specific diet with my POTS, and of course my CF diet. So its a constant balance of keeping things even. I am personally very limited to what I can eat and gaining weight is almost impossible or so it seems. So to maintain a proper weight, I have to eat a lot, which some people hound me on. They don't realize its crucial I eat 5-10,000 cals a day and when you don't eat meat this can be a hard number to reach. Most of the food I eat is natural, organic, and not processed.

I don't know if you ever looked on the back of packaging for allergy warnings, but this does come into play. So that cuts out half the stuff we would think is safe, if something has been cross contaminated (my food has touched something I am allergic to) things can and have ended very badly. "May Contain" usually means the the allergen at hand is present in the food. Some people can eat this and trust that the factory does a good job cleaning. I do not see it worth the risk. I can make a pop tart, I can make a cake, I can eve make cookies. No food is ever worth the risk of your life. I had one incident almost cost me mine, and Wonder Woman had to watch it start to finish. Me cook my food in my pan I thought was safe, to eating it, reacting, and nursing and doctors working on me all at once. The only thing I remember is her crying in the corner.

This is why we take everything so seriously, it is a matter of life and death. Its also a matter of us finding a healthy balance to keep my weight stable to keep my lungs in check. All my diseases some how work together in harmony or well all going wrong at the same time. When one is trigger, the next one is triggered, and its a down hill spiral. Which is why we all work together as a team to figure out what is healthy, what is safe, and what is just off limits.

Food Allergies can seem high maintenance but when we work together as a team, we all stop to read ingredients, we all stop to make sure things our handled properly, we can all work in harmony. And rock that Teal for food allergies and the purple for CF. All cures, or preventions start with awareness. Take the time to listen, take the time to research, and after you research always ask the person how they treat their allergies and fact check whatever it is you saw on the net. Cause lets be real the internet can be quite shady sometimes.

Love Yall
~Poppet 

No comments:

Post a Comment