Thursday, March 17, 2016

I hate social media

Last night I was talking to Wonder Woman, or well flipping out on her or well at her may be the proper wording about social media. Nothing she did but how people use it I guess you would say. I don't use it as much as I use to it and heres why. I feel people use to say whatever they want to you and are entitled to answer of your personal life, then get mad at you when you don't tell them. The All Father as well as Wonder Woman tells me I do not have to answer them and they are right but some pester me till I do then wonder why I am mad.

Before I explain all this, if you approach me in a polite manner, I will sit and talk to you and explain my insane life to you. In fact I am more then happy to tell you what life is like living with my disease. I will stand in a store and talk to you and let you know what exactly my disease is and how it affects my life. But heres the thing, they are always POLITE to me. Again, if you are polite and kind to me I will sit and talk to you no problems what so ever. Heres my problem, when you demand to know about my personal life. Yes that's right DEMAND to know about my personal life and then get mad at me and call me all sorts inappropriate names when I do not.

I do not hide the fact I am on oxygen from social media. This is who I am, my friends get it why hide it?? My profile pic has me with oxygen on with someone close to me were both smiling and happy. I get a lot of strangers see me pop up on friends list and the first thing they ask me is. "Why are you on oxygen." Yes I understand people are curious and its OK to be curious, but don't just pop up on someones FB and ask that. In person I always get "hey can I ask you what might be a personal question??" It's very rare in public I have someone just strait ask that. Which isn't the bad part. Me being the sarcastic person I am says this. "Because I need it." This usually does not go over well at all. "You know what I meant." "Why do you have to be such a ...." Oh and my favorite (with a few explicits I won't post here0 "your gonna grow old and lonely (insert bad names here) here you know that I hope you live a miserable life." I even got a message telling how disrespectful I am because I will not entertain peoples blunt in your face questions because they think they are entitled to know my life. It even goes as far as "well you wouldn't have posted a picture of you with it, if you didn't want people to ask..." Seriously?!?! You think me sharing a pic with someone I love is so you can demand to know what is going on in my life?? Sorry dude!! It was so my friends across the pond can see my happy life cause I am actually close with them and if they messaged me any of the above we have been friends for year and its more of a worry not an entitlement.

So more to the point. It's not the fact that you ask me why I am on oxygen, it's the fact that you think you are entitled to my personal life because I am chronically ill. You think your entitled to answers because we are on a screen and you can't see and you can say whatever it is you want to me. It's very rare anyone see's me as a person. More of an object that has a tube running out of them. Then get nasty with me when I don't answer you. I am not treated like a human because I am chronically ill, not by society and not by random medical team. Why do you always think I love my team?? Every from Doctors to Delivery guys, to people who help me in the pharmacy. And the home health girls that taking to the time to get to know me. Because most of the time I am dealing someone who see's me as an object or a disease and not the girl behind everything. Who by the way speaks fluent sarcasm.

Yes, I am chronically ill with tubes running out of me. But I am also so much more then that.

Love Y'all,
~Poppet

No comments:

Post a Comment