Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Organ Donation

Its organ donation awareness month, and this is a subject very close to my heart for many reasons. I am the daughter of a transplant nurse. So growing up it was just something you did. Theres no "what?? people do that??" It was "we dont need organs in heaven someone her can keep them." At that age I was to young to comprehend what all this meant. I just new when you died someone else got your organs. As I gotten older, got diagnose with CF, and found out my harsh reality that it became so apparent why those magnetic were on our fridge. Someone was fighting to hold long enough to get that miracle of a second chance at life. Then I came to realize what a taboo subject this way.

People dont openly talk about death, we are so ready to praise the fact that someone is born but when it comes to the latter we are supposed to quiet about it. Leave it be. The its a sad heart wrenching subject its still very real and we need to express our concerns now. Does your family know you want to be one?? Do they know you are one?? Do you know myth vs facts?? Do you know why that little heart is on your drivers license??

When I was 27/28 we thought this it, we need to get listed, but we got a new meds and we bounced me back with a life expectancy of of 32. Based on my numbers thats would be limit my lungs could handle. We might need to talk about this all over again. Then I did what I needed to do, I got a living will, and power to attorney, and got things sorted. Wonder Woman asked if there was anything I wanted, I kinda look at her and was like I want to meet Steven Tyler, I have been in love with this man before I even know who Aerosmith was (a movie I saw them in) though that was an impossible feet for her, I told her I wanted a sleeve and we set to work, I knocked out my sleeve, I got a part lower arm one, and got tattooed with my BFF. As my lungs are steadily going down hill I asked for one last trip, thats all.

You see growing up with a nurse such as a transplant one, she never let me believe there was always tomorrow to get things done. We are in the here and the now. Thats it. We embrace today, we strive for things we want. As my lungs grow weaker and we are needing more PFTs the thought of what I want is so much more simple. I want to live. I want to survive this life and change this world like I always said I was going to do. Do I want to see the world?? Of course. But what I want more then anything is to live.

If more people were organ donors, if organ donors were just a common thing, we might just be able to see more people live. Its not a cure, its not even a fitx, its not a guarantee, but its chance that I can have a life. Its a chance that I can be a full time pup sitter for the best All Father in the entire world and I can travel and see who I want to and be with who I want to.

So often I ask, if it was your loved one struggling to fight off end stage disease, and watch them struggle, what would you do?? Would you be a donor?? Would you fight for them?? Would you spread awareness?? Thats we do, and I promised poison Ivey that she wouldn't live life with out me and thats something I work daily at. Surviving. Not living just surviving.

Please sign up to be a donor, its very simple. You can do it thru the DMV, and im sure donatelife.org has some information to.

Love Yall
~Poppet 

No comments:

Post a Comment