Saturday, January 19, 2013

All In Your Head

Recently I was in a car accident. Nothing serious just someone ran into the back of me at a stop light. So of course I had to get my truck fixed. My bumper was dented, hanging off, and my truck was driving weird. So I take it in and told the guy Hey it was running weird, it feels like my breaks are sleeping. I had someone drive it and talk 2 different smart people about this, and the cop told me to get the under neath checked out anyways. The guy looked at me and was like its more then like OK most people think there is more wrong then what is there when they get in a car accident. Its in their heads and nothing is really wrong. My look said it all, he goes I will drive it to make sure but pretty sure its OK. This hit a nerve in me... Why? Because I heard this for two years before I got a true diagnosis of POTS. I got my truck back this past week, I missed my baby, however not the point of this blog. You know what the guy said when I got my girl back? (yes i am one those lol) There was something wrong, we had to align your breaks enough to make it drive able. Of course my look said it all again...

I do a lot of research in my spare time, since I am still not cleared to work and bearly have school clearance. All of us have the same complaint. We hear all to often that is all on our head and there is nothing really wrong with us. We are psych patients, and we need to get help their. Yes some POTS patients have anxiety attacks but its not due to stress of every day life it has to do with norepinephrine not being reabsorbed properly. So its physilogical problem not an emotional problem. Or, there IS something wrong. I know I personally have an altered EKG. Due to bad lungs, I am more likely to have issues with my heart. And when I am sick i can be symptomatic and a HR of 110, instead of 150 which was AWFUL. But even then those doctors were telling me nothing was wrong, thankful then I was daignosed and Momma knew the nurses in the ICU and got to tell them what needs to be done. Yes even after we are diagnosed under care of doctors the question still comes up "Are you sure its POTS and your not just crazy?" Yes please say this to me while I am a high dose of steroids... :-D!

I also remember, my PCP knowing what POTS is told me because other patients she cares for is not as sick I am, that i must be crazy and if i continue with my treatment i'd die. I of course tell her off walk out of her office call my Momma and Mrs Angie (my then home health nurse) and they set the doctor strait very fast. The last thing anyone wants to hear is that they are going to die espically when that is SO unlikely and comepltely unheard of. I did hours of research to make sure I was not going to die. Turns out of course I am not but she also suggested that I need to see mental health. All the time I had 2 doctors, I really need to get a team name for Supermans group of doctors, telling me it really is POTS.

Really its NOT all is the POTS patients head. It's about getting doctors that understand what dysautonomia is. Which sometimes is harder then anything else. I am very nervous to meet my Doc at the university because what is she doesn't know what dysautnomia is and i have to sit and go through the fight all over even though I am just up there for my blood clotting issues. However I will enjoy my time up there.

Till next time,
Love yall
Poppet~

No comments:

Post a Comment